The Cannon at Waterside Lane
It is an English Cannonade, and bears the year marks 1790 and 1805, countersunk in the metal on the top of the gun. This Cannon was used in the war of 1776, and was taken by John Paul Jones from an English privateer in the English Channel, and sold to an English merchantman, who put it on board his brig and sailed for this country. The brig was wrecked on Saybrook Bar, and the wreckage was sold to the lighthouse keeper, Mr. Crane who in turn sold it to Captain James Farnham of Waterside Lane, Clinton (Killingworth). The cannon was later used by residents of Clinton, (Killingworth) in repelling this attack of the British frigate in 1812 . It was mounted on the Green at the foot of Waterside lane and shot so successfully as to cause the British to withdraw from the Harbor after firing a few shots ashore and into town.
As they withdrew the Sound the British burned the smallpox hospital which was located on Duck Island. This was the same expedition that the town of Essex on the Connecticut River was burned by a landing Party.
Information and picture furnished by Steven Pandolfo
The Bridge At Waterside Lane
This bridge at the foot of Waterside Lane was built by the proprietors before the year 1700. In the year 1696 a committee of three was sent to get permission to build the bridge and make the owners of Hammocks pay for it. It was completed in the year 1700 and was intact through the tide of 1815, but was washed out during the hurricane in 1938. Colonial Records of Connecticut Years 1689 - 1706 page 188
Information and picture furnished by Steven Pandolfo
The Historic Stanton House
Located at 63 East Main Street . 860-669-2132. This Historic building was built by Adam Stanton ca. 1789-1791, who moved to Clinton from Rhode Island during the early part of the Revolutionary War to distill salt for rebel forces. The house today is maintained as a museum of American antiques and illustrates both home and general store, ca. 1790, with almost all the furnishings being original.
Visitors will find an impressive collection of antique American.
We will be open year round by appointment. They can call 860-964-0154 for an
The Kelsey Monument
Clinton Historical Society: This monument is on a piece of property between 90 and 92 East Main Street erected by the Kelsey Kindred, an organization of descendants of William. This is part of the orginal grant of 1664. Descendants of William had lived on the property continuously, until just recently.
After the death of Harold Josiah Kelsey (b1885-d1959)his widow (Mabel Morley Kelsey)was instructed to turn this property over to the Historial Society for dedication. The property is ten feet wide and fifty feet deep. Harold's ancestors were of some fame. He was the eighth great-grandson of John Alden and Priscilla Mullins of Mayflower fame. He was the 20th great-grandson of William the Conqueror and he was the 30th great-grandson of Charlemagne. These connections all came through his mother Viola Spencer Kelsey.
This specific piece of information was sent to the Clinton Home page via Email from Duke Kelsey.
Thank You, Duke
There is also information on file in the register in the Historical Society library regarding the KELSEY family.
Red Tail Stag
This life size European Red Tail Stag was donated to the Town of Clinton April 18, 1978, by Sturges Redfield Jr..
The Stag , believed to be the Work of a European Craftsman had been in the Redfield family for over a Century and first stood where the Post Office is now. It was then moved to the family's homestead on West Main Street. From their it came to Sturges home in Ridgewood (Shore Rd.). All this time hundreds have admired its natural beauty.
When the Red Tail Stag arrived it was placed outside on the west end of the front of Town Hall. Unfortunately on January 6, 1982 a Internal Revenue agent was visiting the Town Hall and upon leaving his car it rolled back hitting the stag. Damage was extensive. After numerous meetings and letters between attorneys the Federal Government sent a check for $2,327.25 to cover the damage. This would be the final end to the outdoors for the Stag.
This beautiful life size Red Tail Stag is presently inside the Town Hall for all to admire as they enter to pay taxes, attend meetings and visit town officials.
Clinton Historical Society Captain Elisha White House(Old Brick)
Oldest brick house on the shoreline from New Haven to New London. The lot in which the house was built was purchased in 1750 by a sea captain, Elisha White. The bricks used to build the house were thought to have been brought form England by ship as ballast. Features in the Captain Elisha White House are, a colonial herb garden, 19th century American portraits. Historical Society Library contains a wealth of primary and secondary sources pertaining to local history, genealogy and with late 18th and 19th century furnishings within the rooms.
Page design, layout and data furnished by Steven Pandolfo
How Clinton Connecticut became "Clinton"
Almost every eastern state has a town named Clinton after Dewitt Clinton who was mayor of N.Y. and then Governor of New York state. He was most noted for his promotional work on the creation of the Erie Canal. The Erie Canal opened the old Northwest corridor (Ohio, Indiana and Illinois ) to land hungry New Englanders
Clinton Connecticut received its name in 1838 when we broke off from Killingworth.
Many thanks to Fran Gilman who researched the above information in the Historical Society library. This answers a question that was received via email on how the Town of Clinton received its name.